It seems like just a minute ago it was winter and now all of a sudden Fourth of July is next week. Summer is in full swing and with that comes BBQs, beach bonfires, parties, cookouts, boating excursions and the like. I think it’s safe to say that the typical menu for these American summer pastime parties typically consists of the following: burgers, hot dogs (or brats, or something like that), baked beans, potato salad, green beans, maybe a salad, corn on the cob, chips and dips, ice cream, and maybe fruit.
Heading to an impromptu or even planned cookout can be tough if you’re trying to stick to a clean, plant based diet or even if you’re just watching what you eat. With about a week to prepare your holiday menu, I wanted to offer up some of my vegan summer staples. I’ve put together some easy and delicious recipes for your own veggie burger, potato salad, and baked beans.
The black bean burger recipe is SO simple and freezes really well. I almost always have them in my freezer in the summer so I can run to party last minute and not worry about starving.
Happy, healthy, holiday everyone! Do it right with some home cooking.
Jalapeno Potato Salad
- 2 ½ pounds mixed seasonal potatoes
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- 2 large jalapenos, or other seasonal hot peppers, finely chopped
- 1 cup Vegenaise
- 1 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar + ½ tablespoon organic amber agave nectar
- A dash celery seed
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon dill
- ¼ cup fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Black pepper to taste
1. Wash potatoes carefully. Place in a large stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and let boil about 8-10 minutes or until a fork can easily push in potatoes but they are still firm.
2. When potatoes are done rinse with cool water and allow to cool completely before cutting them into 1 inch cubes.
3. While the potatoes are cooking and cooling, chop the other fresh veggies and mix the dressing ingredients together in a small mixing bowl.
4. Place all salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss with about 1 ¼ cup dressing.
Vegan Baked Beans
- 2 cups dry navy beans, rinsed. Or 4 Cups cooked
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- black pepper
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegan worcestershire
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1. Cook beans for about an hour (or 2) until tender. Drain and reserve about ¾ cup bean water.
2. Layer beans and onions in a lidded casserole or Le Cruset.
3. Combine remaining ingredients (hot water) in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Stir in water and pour over beans and onions.
4. Bake at 375 for about an hour. Stir and enjoy. Ovens vary, so you may want to cook them longer.