Crunchy Kale & Red Cabbage Salad:
- 3 stalks ripboar kale
- 1 leaf romaine torn into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 head red cabbage, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup flat parsley, chopped
- 1 ripe tomato, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- 3 Tbs hemp seeds
Tear kale from stalk and place in a salad spinner with chopped cabbage, romaine, and parsley. Rinse and spin well removing all access water. Soak the celery and carrots in water for a couple minutes then scrub thoroughly with a veggie brush. Once clean, slice and prep all veggies. Place in a large salad bowl and top with hemp seeds. Use tongs to toss well then serve.
Mashed Butternut Squash:
- 1 Butternut squash
- ¼ Cup fresh chives
- 2 Tbs Nutritional Yeast flakes
- 1 Tbs Earth Balance natural spread or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
Toaster oven to 350°. Slice squash in half long ways and remove the guts with a spoon. I always save the seeds to roast later; what an easy snack!
Place squash meat side down in a glass baking dish filled with about an inch of water and bake at 350° for about 45 minutes or until really tender. Keep in mind you’re making mashed squash so you want to bake it until it’s really soft. When the squash is cool enough to handle, spoon it out of the skin. You made need to use a paring knife a bit too to peel away the flesh closest to the skin.
Add all remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl and mash with a hand masher or paddle. Serve as a side dish.
* You can really use any kind of seasonal squash in this recipe. See the photo on right where I used Sweet Dumpling Squash and it was delicious!
Mushroom Gravy with Walnut Grounds:
- I medium yellow onion
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- About 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 Tbs grapeseed oil
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour ( can substitute buckwheat or rice flour for a gluten free version)
- 2 Tbs Soy sauce
- ¼ Cup Vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 ½ Tbs fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, crushed with fingers
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
Heat a sauce pan over medium heat. Warm the grapeseed oil. Next, add the onion. Sautee until it starts to become translucent, add the mushrooms then walnuts and garlic. Add the soy sauce, vegan Worcestershire, and liquid smoke. When the mushrooms start to become tender, add half the flour (2 Tbs), about a ½ cup of the vegetable stock and stir well. Add the sage, thyme, remaining flour and stir. Gradually add remaining vegetable stock. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer about 5 minutes until you have nice gravy. Add more stock if necessary.
Acorn Squash Pie:
- 2 Cups well baked and mashed acorn squash
- ¾ Cup silken tofu
- ½ Cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Orange zest
- 2 tsp dried tarragon
- 9 inch vegan pie crust*
Preheat oven to 350. Combine ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Pour into your 9 inch pie crust and bake 40-45 minutes.
*To make your own vegan pie crust from scratch simple substitute organic palm oil shortening for traditional shortening in your favorite crust recipe.